- A brief description of the problem.
- Say enough here so that the issue can be understood; keeping
details within the defect description.
- You are writing a "newspaper headline" here - concise, yet
describe what the issue is.
- Do not prefix the title with special codes - that is not
necessary with the new project structures.
- State indicates a fixed point in the life-cycle of an issue.
- There is a logical flow from one state to the next, which is
controlled via the "workflow" features within the tracking system, and usually controlled by the
- Priority is the chief factor determining the order in which we
work on a task.
- It is not a judgment of importance to the customer.
- In theory, all priority 1’s should be addressed before priority
2’s, and so on.
- Therefore, it is the Product Manager who sets this field.
- "Thou Shalt Not Ship with [known] Priority
- Severity indicates the impact of the problem to the user.
- It may be correlated with a given set of Symptoms, but is primarily intended as an independent gradient of the
nature of the problem.
- The field is principally set by QA, acting as a customer
|| requirement, documentation, packaging, etc.
See the detail page for far more information on this field.
||Symptoms indicate what the problem was, and are more useful for developers.
|| Automated test, ad-hock, by customer, etc.
|Found in Build
|| The build number where the issue was first reported
||The release by which the issue is expected to be
fixed. It serves as a filter that is independent from all other fields, and helps prioritize tasks for both developers and Project Managers.
|Fixed in Build
|| The build number where the developer expects the issue to be addressed.
Note: ideally, you have a "next build" value for this field, which the build process uses to go back and automatically set to the proper value upon the next build.
|Closed in Build
|| The build number where the issue has been closed/resolved, as verified by the test team (or by declaration of PM).
||'Resolution' codes give greater detail on how or why an
issue had its state set to 'Validate' or 'Closed'.